Monday, September 17, 2012

Fluff Silver White Cake 9.16.12

After seeing a dense angel food cake and a dry tea cake come out of the oven, I thought maybe I need to try a conventional white cake.

Fluff Silver White Cake
14.4 oz    Fluff
10 oz       cake flour
0.7 oz      sugar
3 1/2 t      baking powder
1 t            salt
4 oz         shortening
8 oz         milk
1 t           vanilla
1T           xantham gum
1 t           almond extract

Original recipe called for a two stage mixing method.  I made something up here that seemed to make sense. Cream shortening and sugar.  Blend all dry ingredients and wet ingredients, separately.  Add wet and dry mixtures, alternating.  Blend in the Fluff last.

This was one of the most disgusting cakes I've ever had in my life.  I added way too much xantham gum, which made the cake so rubbery and dense.  Yuck!  


The batter was so thick and gummy, like a bread dough.  You can see the cupcakes still held the shape of the batter.



So dense and gummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment