Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Fluff Angel Food Cupcakes 9.18.12

Round 2.  Here I've kept some of the egg whites in the recipe.

Fluff Angel Food Cucpakes
1.5 oz  cake flour
1.5 oz  bread flour
7 oz     sugar
7.2 oz  Fluff
9.6 oz  egg whites
1.5 t    lemon juice
0.25 t  salt
0.5 t    vanilla
1.5 t    almond extract



I beat in the fluff with the egg whites.  The cupcakes lost some of their volume after baking.  I only baked them 11 minutes at 350.  They were also extremely moist, almost soggy.  So first I will try increasing the flour.  If they are still soggy (and sweet), I can reduce the sugar (probably, especially the sugar that is mixed with the flours). They also needed to be baked more.  They are a little too pale on the tops.



The crumb was perfect, so I am very excited about that.  A tight crumb, light and airy, soft and tender.  Almost looks light tightly crumbed white bread.



It is very strange what these cupcakes did.  When the baked they rose away from the bottom of the paper cupcake liner.  So the bottom third of each cupcake is hollow inside the paper.  I'm not quite sure how this is due to the recipe-air bubbles (because it happened to all of them), so I'm going to try some nonstick spray underneath the liners, so they stick to the pan better and no air gets trapped under the paper.  Foil liners might also be worth a try.


No comments:

Post a Comment