Saturday, September 1, 2012

Chocolate Pudding 8.31.12

I'm so happy because this chocolate pudding recipe had such a great consistency.  The recipe is adapted from Food Network Magazine recipe for chocolate pudding.

1 egg yolk
1/4 c sugar
1 1/2 T cornstarch
1 1/2 c milk (I used skim)
2.5 oz bittersweet chocolate
smidgen salt
1/2 t vanilla

I substituted 7 1/2 T cocoa (Hershey's dark) and 2 T butter.  I forgot to add the vanilla.  I am so happy with the thickness of this pudding, although I wouldn't want it any looser.  The taste was very strong, so I think I can try a little less cocoa, and perhaps use natural cocoa.  Another option would be to use bittersweet chocolate (as long as I have it on hand).

Using so much dry cocoa made it difficult to smoothly incorporate all the dry ingredients together.  The pudding came out somewhere between gritty and lumpy.  I believe this was due to the cornstarch not being properly mixed in.  Next time, if I use cocoa, I will melt the butter and add it to the yolk, sugar, and cornstarch, as well as with a little milk (2 T or so?).  Then temper with the boiling milk and salt.




No comments:

Post a Comment