Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Pumpkin Pie 10.31.12

I'm still looking for the perfect pumpkin pie recipe.  I'd like to use pumpkin puree and evaporated milk.   I found a king arthur recipe using corn syrup and a small amount of flour.  I made a graham cracker crust to go along with this pie filling.

Simple Graham Crust
2 c graham crackers
1/2 c melted butter
1/3 c sugar

Blend all three ingredients and press into bottom of pan.

Pumpkin Filling
2 T AP flour (14 g?)
1 1/4 t cinnamon (or less if desired)
1/8 t coves
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t ginger
1/2 t salt
5 5/8 oz brown sugar
12 oz pumpkin
1 3/8 oz corn syrup
12 oz evaporated milk
2 eggs

I baked the crust first at 325 for about 20 minutes (although this might have been too long, it smelled like burnt butter).  Then let the pan cool, and baked the filling in the pan at 325 for 55 minutes. It was just done, and that's with baking it in a very warm pan.  I wonder if the thick crust underneath contributed to the baking time.  Also, there were bubbles coming up through the filling, I think it could have been simmering butter.  There was a lot of butter int the crust, and with the pan I chose, the crust was very thick.

This tasted pretty good.  At least the pie part was spiced nicely.  I'd like to take out the flour.  Next time I'll try without flour (or at least with a gluten free flour).  Perhaps the texture of the pie filling could be a little less glutenous.  Also, for the rectangular pan , it would be wise to make one third of the crust recipe and half of the pumpkin filling.




I had a small pan and certainly used too much crust.  The crust is almost half the depth of the pie!  But the pie was pretty yummy, except glutenous (rubbery).

No comments:

Post a Comment