Friday, November 30, 2012

Lakota Bakery 11.26.12

Lakota Bakery, 1375 Mass Ave, Arlington MA

This place specializes in cookies, and they are delicious.  The only bad thing about my experience was that I paid for 6 cookies, but only got 5.  I should have made sure to keep count myself.

It was the weekend after thanksgiving and I got some turkey cookies!  They were on sale and they are chocolate dipped shortbread which are my favorite.  Shortbread lasts for days so I was really happy I got some overflow cookies.  Lakota's shortbread was delicious and buttery with great texture.



The other five cookies I got: florentine, pistachio shortbread, mint sandwich cookie, lemon macaroon, and apricot linzer cookie.



The florentine was the highlight of the five.  It was amazing.  I asked the chef what the ingredients were.  They included shaved (?) almonds, cherries (I don't remember what kind), a little flour.  I never made florentines in school, but there is a recipe in my baking book.  It doesn't include any kind of cherry flavoring, but the wikipedia article on florentines says they are traditionally made with candied cherries.  Hm.

I haven't been touring Boston looking for florentines (i've really only tried two others), but Lakota's are awesomely delicious.

The pistachio shortbread was good, but I don't think I've ever had a pistachio before, so I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be tasting.

The mint sandwhich cookie was good, but rather sweet.  The filling was very green, and I wish it was a little more naturally colored to reflect the natural ingredients in the cookie.

The lemon macaroon was a suprise because it had a lot of frosting, which I thought was going to be cookie. The frosting was really sweet and I couldn't taste the cookie much.

The apricot linzer was pretty good.  I loved that the thickness of the apricot filling was exactly the thickness of the cookie underneath.  It was good, but I think I prefer the classic sandwich style with powdered sugar.




No comments:

Post a Comment