Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Minty fudge 10.31.12

This attempt was adapted from Never-Fail-Fudge.  Minty leaves were infused with half the evaporated milk and added after the sugar was cooked.  I used 25 g (slightly damp) mint leaves.

Minty fudge
25 g mint leaves
17.5 oz sugar
3/4 t salt
2 oz butter
5 oz evap milk
7.5 oz fluff
3/4 t vanilla
12 oz semi sweet chocolate
1/2 c chopped walnuts

I infused the mint in half the evaporated milk.  I combined sugar, salt, butter, remaining milk, and fluff in a saucepan and heated slowly until the butter melted (I should have melted the butter first to aid in making a smooth mixture.) There was sugar in the bottom of the pan that turned into caramel rather fast, so my mixture never boiled, but it became a very lumpy mixture with little caramel bits floating around, so I had to stop cooking.  I decided to continue, although obviously I'm just wasting ingredients at this point.  I added the chocoalte, vanilla, and minty milk.  I piped the fudge into molds, although it's difficult because it set super fast.  I tasted one of the candies and it was awful.  It tasted like the sugar never evaporated. It was so gritty. Over cooked, or undercooked?

I also could not taste any minty.


The milk did not taste very minty, so I should check back to this point for taste.


I wanted to use the heart mold, but here's a picture of more of that white, powdery residue on the molds after sitting in storage for a bit.




Even after freezing the fudge, the candy was still soft and didn't come out of the molds well.  Also, the fudge was super sweet and gritty.  I'm not sure if it was undissolved sugar or over cooked sugar. fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment