Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Black & White Cookies 11.2.12

So I tried two recipes, the original Black & White cookie recipe in Baking Illustrated, and the same recipe with a gluten free flour mix which was mostly chia flour.

Black & White Cookies
16 oz cake flour
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
8 oz butter
12.2.5 oz sugar
2 eggs
1/2 t vanilla
1/2 t lemon (more than the original recipe)
1 cup milk

For the gluten-free version I substituted
9.5 oz sorghum
4.5 oz chia
2 oz potato starch





The original cookie was very good, but as I've been eating less gluten, the texture seemed almost rubbery to me.  I recall eating these cookies before, especially when I found the recipe.  And I didn't detect any glutinous texture then.





The gluten-free cookie was pretty disgusting.  It just had too much chia.  And it's funny, the cookie batter was so thick and they baked up looking like scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment