Saturday, October 6, 2012

CCC VI 10.7.12

I've reinstated chia seeds to my recipes.  Here's a chocolate chip cookie recipe with ground chia seeds as the main flour. I've replaced baking soda with baking powder since I'm going to leave this batter in the fridge overnight to "thicken".

4 oz butter, melted
4 oz chia seeds, ground
2 oz sorghum flour
0.25 oz potato starch
1/2 t kosher salt
1 t baking powder
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
5 oz brown sugar
1 oz sugar
0.875 oz eggs (1/2 whole egg)
0.275 oz yolks (1/2 egg yolk)
1 T milk
3/4 t vanilla
5 oz chocolate chips

Here's a pretty shot of the dry ingredients. Can you believe they just happened to land like that. Oh, I threw in some ground flax seeds (I didn't want to have to toss them, but they were getting a little old.)  They are on the left side of the bowl.  Dark chia seeds are on the bottom, sorghum flour (clumpy) is above that.  The other powdery white ingredients include potato starch and baking powder.  The cinnamon is on the top right, with the nutmeg on top (which is coarser than the fine ground cinnamon).



The batter is very dark from the chia seeds.  Looks like the color of a nicely browned cookie.  Actually, it's even a little darker than that.


The dough was thick, but not too solid to form into balls to bake the next day.  I baked these cookies for 15 minutes at 350, but they were still very wet inside, so I turned down the oven to 200 and baked another 10  minutes.  I over did it a bit, as these cookies were pretty crisp.  But I was impressed that I thought they were very chewy.




They are very dark, but I thought they tasted good.  Nothing artificial and very yummy.  Next time I'll bake them on a lower temp for a longer time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment