Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Mixing Hot Cocoa 8.16.11

In celebration of a sore throat for the last few days, I'm trying to lessen the symptoms by drinking hot beverages.   I finally figured out today how to correctly mix hot cocoa.  I've really been making this drink for years and never really got it right until today.  Maybe all those mixing techniques I learned from culinary school are paying off.

So the problem is that I used to add the hot milk to the cocoa-sugar mixture too fast.  What happens is that the cocoa-sugar mixture does not dissolve correctly into the milk and you are left with clumps of cocoa throughout the drink.  I figured out that a better way to do this is to add about a Tablespoon of milk (can use cold milk while the 1 cup of milk is heating) to the sugar and cocoa and mix until you get a smooth paste.  Then add the hot milk and stir for a while.  The paste will easily dissolve in the rest of the hot milk.  It's so nice not to have globs of cocoa at the bottom of the mug.

Here's the cocoa-sugar paste



This is just the hot cocoa recipe on the box of Hershey's Natural Unsweeteneed Cocoa.


No comments:

Post a Comment