Friday, August 12, 2011

Baby Shower Cake 7.20.11

Our second project in the cake decoration class was to make a cake for a baby shower.  We were required to cover the cake in fondant, make a crib out of pastillage and include some decorative borders and scripting.  Here's what I came up with.


The borders and garland are Swiss buttercream.  The scripting and daisies are royal icing.  The teddy bear disks are cut from pastillage. Thanks to Dora for lending me the cutter.  I'm not a sculpter, and somehow the baby's face turned out okay.  The baby and blanket are made of marzipan.  The blanket is yellow polka dots, but since the color of marzipan is so near yellow, it's hard to see the pattern. Next time I need to use a better contrasting color.


The cake is a yellow butter cake from Gisslen. I didn't like it much.  However, the filling is ganache, which was super yummy.  I have to work on my cutting skills because the inside layers look pretty messy after I cut into the cake.



2 comments:

  1. I love that I can recognize your writing even in frosting. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very impressive! I don't think I'd be able to recognize it if I didn't know it was me that wrote it.

    ReplyDelete