Thursday, August 11, 2011

Mike's 3rd birthday 7.14.11

For this class project we were required to make a child's birthday cake.  A cocoa paining with a pastillage easel, a marzipan figure, and borders with Swiss buttercream were required.  The inside of the cake is chiffon cake with buttercream filling. The history of the chiffon cake is quite interesting.  It was originally prized as a light cake, like sponge cake, but much faster and easier to make, especially for the home cook.  A chiffon cake is characterized by it's inclusion of  vegetable oil and whipped egg whites.

My cake is iced with Swiss buttercream (naturally light beige or yellow color due to the butter and vanilla-actually the same color as the marzipan).  The borders and scripting are also Swiss buttercream colored blue and orange.  Borders are done with a petal tube, and scripting is done with plain tubes. There is a marzipan disk covering the top of the cake.  Snoopy's house and woodstock are made of marzipan and the Snoopy cocoa painting is made on a disk of marzipan.  The lines on the painting are a mixture of cocoa powder and cocoa butter.  The colors are a mixture of food color with Svedka.  


I ran out of room writing "Mike", but it doesn't look too bad.  The top of the doghouse could be more even too.  I lost points because the two points of my easel didn't match exactly at the top.  However, I was really happy with the easel template I made.  It held Snoopy securely and at an appropriate angle.  If only I had made the easel a little shorter, the uneveness would not have been so noticeable.

I also had difficulty getting a sharp top edge on this cake. It's not entirely covered by the border in the picture, and it looks okay, but it took me quite a while to do it.  I need to work on my spatula skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment