Saturday, January 29, 2011

Crème brûlée

No crème brûlée recipe in the splenda book or anything close enough I might adapt.  A little online research reveals that I can use this recipe with all the sugar substituted with Splenda, although here I use the half sugar half Splenda approach.  Like the cheesecake, sugar is not a primary ingredient here so it is probably acceptable to use all Splenda.  A little more online research reveals a substitute for the burnt sugar topping characteristic of crème brûlée involving melting erythritol with molasses and pouring this liquid over the custard.  This sounds like a very interesting alternative, but for now I'm going to stick with only experimenting with Splenda as a sugar substitute.  So I'll finish these custards with a pure sugar topping. 

I don't have ramikins so I made these in an oven dish.


Crème brûlée
4 portions

4 yolks
30 g sugar
4g Splenda
1 pt heavy cream, hot
1/2 t vanilla extract
1/4 t salt

Makeup: Mix yolks and sugars.  Gradually stir in hot cream.  Add vanilla and salt.  Strain the mixture and pour into ramekins.  Bake in a water bath at 325 degrees F about 25 minutes or until the custard is just set.  To finish, dab any moisture from the top of the custard.  Sprinkle with an even layer of brown sugar and caramelize the sugar under the broiler.

I  finished the crème brûlée on the broil setting of our toaster oven, which I had much success with in my last apartment, but I was having difficulty getting even heat on the top of the custard.  Also, in the batch I made the custard didn't set up!  I might not have baked it enough (?)  or it may have been a formulation problem, but this is not a very difficult recipe so I'm not sure what my problem was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment