Thursday, January 6, 2011

Icebox Cookies and Classic Brownies

Today in class we made chocolate brownies and dough for icebox cookies.  I came home today and replicated the recipe for each using Splenda. 

I found some whole wheat pastry flour in Shaws which I substituted for pastry flour.  I think I should have substituted all purpose flour instead because the resulting icebox cookie dough is very grainy, instead of smooth.  Also, the smell of the dough is wheat-y, and I'm not sure I like the combination with vanilla and chocolate.  I'm nervous to see how the cookies come out tomorrow.

Ice box cookies
8 oz butter or half butter half shortening
16 g Splenda (equal volume to 4 oz granulated sugar)
4 oz confectioner's sugar (10x)
0.125 oz (3/4 t) salt
2 oz eggs
vanilla to taste
12 oz pastry flour
2 oz melted unsweetened chocolate

For vanilla cookies:
Combine butter, sugars, salt, eggs, and vanilla.   Fold in pastry flour.
For chocolate cookies:
Combine butter, sugars, salt, eggs, and vanilla.   Blend in melted chocolate.  Fold in pastry flour.
Wrap doughs in plastic wrap and chill well. 


After chilling and assembling, here's what the final cookies look like.




For the brownies, I replaced all of the sugar with Splenda.  The batter looked much thicker than compared to the original we made in class today.

Classic Brownies
(yields about 12 large brownies)
8 oz unsweetened chocolate
12 oz butter
12 oz eggs
95 g Splenda (equal volume to 1 lb 8 oz sugar)
0.12 oz salt
0.5 oz vanilla
8 oz bread flour
8 oz chopped walnuts or pecans

Melt chocolate and butter and cool to room temperature.  Mix eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla.  Add chocolate mixture to egg mixture.  Fold in flour.  Fold in nuts.  Bake at 325 for 20 mins in greased and floured or parchment-lined sheet pan.  Brownies are done when toothpick comes out clean.



These tasted gross.  I ate one and it was terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment