Monday, January 17, 2011

Biscotti

I haven't picked up the Splenda book from the library yet.  The library was closed today for MLK Jr. Day, but I will pick up the book tomorrow.  I found a Splenda Biscotti recipe online.  These Biscotti are sugar free and I just can't shake the inferiority of these cookies and their fake sugar taste.  And I'm especially critical here because the Biscotti is my favorite product we have made in class so far (Classic Brownies coming in as a close second.) I may need to next explore using sugar blends (using half sugar and half splenda).  The appearance and texture was acceptable, though.



I also stopped in Whole Foods yesterday and discovered they have just about any ingredient I'll need.  There were about 4 different kinds of pastry flour and I think two of them were organic.  I also spotted three different nationalities of vanilla beans available.  Incredible!  I can't wait until I need some exotic ingredient.  Whole foods is sure to have it.

Here's the Biscotti recipe from splenda.tastebook.com.  I omitted the raisins that were originally called for.

Splenda Biscotti

1 cup slivered almonds
1½ cups Splenda
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons milk
½ teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon baking soda
⅛ teaspoon salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Make up:  Beat Splenda, 3 eggs, and milk at medium speed of an electric mixer for 3 minutes or until mixture is smooth and pale yellow in color. Beat in extract. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; add to Splenda mixture and beat on low speed until a stiff dough forms. Stir in almonds. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 4 or 5 times. Divide dough in half; shape each portion into an 8-inch log. Place logs on prepared cookie sheet and flatten to ¾-inch thickness; brush with beaten egg.  Bake for 20 minutes or until puffed and golden brown; reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Remove from baking sheet to a wire rack; cool 10 minutes. Cut each log diagonally into ½-inch thick slices with a serrated knife, using a gentle sawing motion. Place slices on cookie sheets. Bake 10 minutes; turn cookies over, and bake 10 additional minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.

Below is a picture of the amazing Gisslen Biscotti.  These are technically unfinished, since they did not get a second toasting.  However, I like them this way because they aren't rock hard and you can eat them without dipping them in wine or coffee.  These cookies are so delicous, I wish I could send the taste through the blog page.

No comments:

Post a Comment