Saturday, January 29, 2011

Cream Cheesecake

Awful baking day today marked by huge mistakes in my try at New York style cheesecake.  Problems dividing the recipe; and I thought I was decent at math.  I almost used 4 times the amount of egg and egg yolk.  Luckily, I noticed that the amount of eggs was more than the amount of cream cheese (there should be more cream cheese than eggs in the recipe).  Second mistake I did not catch and I ended up using 4 times the amount of salt in the batter.  I knew it right after I did it, but by then it's too late.  I hadn't added eggs and liquids yet, so I considered saving the ingredients I had left, but for some reason I plowed on ahead and completed the recipe.  I may have wanted to finish for the sake of completeness.  Perhaps completing a subpar product is better than producing nothing for the purposes of this blog...  but certainly not for eating since this product will be inedible.  So maybe it is just a waste of ingredients.  ...oh and I also forgot the vanilla extract completely because I changed the order of addition among the ingredients and never went back for the vanilla.

Despite these disappointments, I'm going to record the recipe I was using anyway, just in case I want to try it again another day.  The recipe is adapted from Gisslen's substituting half Splenda for half sugar.  There is a recipe (actually a whole chapter) on cheesecake in the Splenda book, but since sugar makes up a low percentage of the recipe (most is cream cheese and eggs), I thought I would go back to trying adapting the Gisslen recipe.

Cream Cheesecake
makes one 8-inch cake

750 g softened cream cheese
130 g sugar
20 g Splenda
15 g cornstarch
3 g lemon zest, grated (about 1 t)
5 g vanilla extract (1 t)
8 g salt (1.5 t)
150 g eggs
50 g egg yolks
75 g heavy cream
40 g milk
10 g lemon juice

90 g graham cracker crust
     50 g graham cracker crumbs
     13 g sugar
     2 g Splenda
     25 g butter, melted

Make up: Line bottom of an 8-inch round pan with parchment paper and graham cracker crust.  Grease the sides of the pan.  Blend cream cheese until lump free.  Add half the sugar and blend until smooth.  Add remaining sugars, cornstarch, lemon grate, vanilla, and salt and blend until smooth.  Add eggs and egg yolks slowly, blending thoroughly after each addition.  Graduatlly add cream, milk, and lemon juice.  Each step of mixing should be done thoroughly, but without whipping air into the batter.  Fill pan up to 1/2 inch below the rim and bake in a water bath at 325 for about 1 hour or until custard sets.  Cool cake and refrigerate overnight to chill.  Top with canned fruit, or fresh fruit and an apricot glaze.

When I made this I used a muffin tin to get cheesecake cupcakes.  I was scared to try them!  I could smell the salt baking in the oven.  After they were cooled, I did taste them and they were disgustingly brackish.  However, I didn't notice anything off with the sweetness, so maybe this was partly a success.  These should be topped with fruit topping, maybe a cherry pie filling.  The graham crust tasted yummy and the texture of the cake was good except for some lemon seeds. Note: lemon juice should be strained before adding.





No comments:

Post a Comment