Thursday, January 27, 2011

Éclairs

So I didn't take the time to finish the éclairs with chocolate fondant or even fill them properly with a pastry bag.  I halved them with a serrated knife and filled them with a spoon.  The empty éclair shells from class were underbaked, so the final product would have been subpar at best. 

I was happy with the pastry cream when I tasted it by itself, but now contrasting with what we made in class, the Splenda version is thinner in flavour.  The consistency is the same as in the Gisslen version, but I think the lack of butter and milk doesn't provide the richer taste.  I'd like to fix this recipe, but I'm not sure what the first step would be.  With a lot of the cookies, it seemed I needed to adjust to fats (butter, shortening, cream, etc.) along with the sugar.  I'm not sure if a direct Splenda-for-sugar swap would work here.  Perhaps I'll try a few variations this weekend...after I try crème brûlée. :)

Here's a picture of one of the unfinished éclairs cut in half so you can see the filling.




No comments:

Post a Comment