Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

We are making chocolate chip cookies in class tomorrow.  So instead of tweaking the recipe after trying the original, I am tweaking a recipe for chocolate chip oatmeal cookies that I have made previously.  I was very happy with the results as the cookies had similar texture, flavor, and sweetness as the original (at least that I remember!).

I went shopping after class today.  I was so excited to make chocolate chip cookies after our in-class demo.  I was basically jumping off my stool in class.  So once I got finished at school, I rushed home so I could go shopping for cookie ingredients.  I was looking for brown sugar Splenda, but Shop & Stop was out (they only had the brown sugar blend and it didn't even look like they carried the brown Splenda), so I figured I'd try to substitute with white Splenda and molasses.  There was no pastry flour either; next time I'll have to try Shaws.  I picked up some coarse Kosher salt and a digital kitchen scale (at Bed Bath & Beyond).

The first sheet I left in the oven a little too long, so the bottoms of the cookies were too dark.  But the second half-tray was baked perfectly.  The cookies turned out well, but I still prefer the classic chocolate chip cookie from our in-class demo today.  With all the chocolate chips, my cookie was certainly not lacking in sweetness, but adding oatmeal really changes the texture.  Next time I try this oatmeal cookie, I will tweak with less oatmeal and more flour to (hopefully) increase chewiness.

The recipe presented below is in volume measures.  Besides, that made it easier to convert the sugar amounts to Splenda.

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
(yield: about 32 2" cookies)

1/2 c butter at 60 degrees
1 c all purpose flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 c sugar
3/4 c Splenda
1/4 c molasses
1 1/4 c quick oats
6 oz Ghiradelli 60% cocao bittersweet chocolate baking chips
1/4 t coarse Kosher salt
1 egg
1/2 t baking powder
1 t vanilla

Mix butter and sugar until well blended.  Add eggs, vanilla, and molasses.  Mix with flour, oats, salt, baking powder, and soda.  Add chocolate chips and mix until just blended.  Drop 1" dough rounds on cookie sheet.  Bake for 10 mins at 375 degrees or until edges and bottoms start to turn dark brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment