Monday, April 22, 2013

Sponge Cake I 4.3.13

I tried a new sponge cake recipe and it was a success.  It's not the final recipe, but it allowed me to find the appropriate baker's percentages that I was looking for.

4 3/8 oz cake flour, sifted
2 7/8 oz yolks (4 large yolks)
5 5/8 oz whites (4 large whites)
5 1/4 oz caster sugar
1/4 t salt
1 t baking powder
1 t almond

Mix dries.  Beat whites until foamy, add lemon juice.  Add half of sugar when whites get to soft peaks.  Beat until glossy.  Beat in yolks, then stir in dry ingredients carefully.  Bake at 375 until set.

There's less egg sand more sugar in this new recipe compared to my previous one.  I'm not sure why need the recipe needs baking powder with no liquids or additional fats in the recipe. The texture of the cake is very spongy.  The holes are very large and the cake is very light.  I'd prefer light cake with tight crumb (small holes.) The cake is very flexible, which is a great feature.  But it is dry without much taste.  But it has the perfect sponge texture.  

Next time I will try the previous recipe with more flour.






No comments:

Post a Comment