Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Tiramisu 2.25.13

I used Myer's Dark rum this time for my tiramisu and I liked it a lot better than using Bacardi.  I would have liked more cake in proportion to the cheese and cream mixtures.

Cheese mixture
5 yolks
1/4 c milk
1/2 c sugar
1 T vanilla
16 oz mascarpone cheese
2 1/2 oz grated semisweet chocolate (I used 2 1/2 oz of a 4 oz bar of Ghirardelli 60% cocoa bar)

Beat first three ingredients in a saucepan and heat until boiling.  Mixture should be thick and eggs cooked.  Stir in vanilla.  Cool in the fridge.  Then stir in cheese and grated chocolate. When I made this it came out quite lumpy, but tasted fine. I hope I didn't overcook the eggs too much.

Rum mixture
1 c espresso or strong coffee ( I used instant coffee made 3 x strong)
1 oz (2 T) coffee liqueur (I used Kahlua)
2 oz (4 T) rum or brandy (I used Myer's Dark Rum)

Brew coffee and let cool in fridge.  Then add Kahlua and Rum.

Cream mixture
16 oz heavy cream
2 T (not dark) cocoa powder (plus some for garnish)

Whip cream and cocoa until soft peaks.

Dip half (24 ea) lady fingers in rum mixture and line them in bottom of 13 x 9 in pan upside down.  (I did them right side up this time, but maybe upside down would be more fun.  I'm still deciding how much of the cake I'd like soaked through.  I don't want the savoiardi wet and completely soaked, but the ones I've been using have been quite thin. I could overlap the cookies, maybe by half to make the cake thicker. That would also give a nice cross section.)  Then spread half the cheese mixture over the biscuits.  Then spread half the cream mixture over the cheese mixture. Repeat with the second half of all the mixtures.  Top with a generous coating of cocoa powder.  Let sit in the fridge overnight, but preferably 2 overnights.

This was an end piece, so it looks a little lopsided.  Also, I had extra cream and cheese, so it's heave on those two parts.  Also, it was not too boozy, so next time I could even try a little more alcohol.


Decoration idea: For a special occasion, place a stencil on the cocoa powder and dust with conf sugar to write a message on the top of the cake.

Another decoration idea: Cut cake into squares and garnish top of each cake with a chocolate piece, or dollop of whipped cream, or other decoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment