Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Boston Cream and Jello Shots 2.8.13

It's great to bake when there's a blizzard outside. I made a Boston Cream Pie and some Margarita Jello shots.

The Boston Cream Pie was made with a Pillsbury Yellow Box Cake, pastry cream, and chocolate ganache. I had tried two cakes previously, but they failed.  First I tried the chiffon cake in Baking Illustrated.  But I took it out of the oven too early and it wasn't set yet, so it collapsed!  It's the first time a cake has collapsed on me.  Next, I tried the Yellow Layer Cake from Baking Illustrated.  The cake didn't rise for some reason.  It was like a brick.  I think I didn't cream the butter and sugar enough, and I didn't mix the batter long enough.  The cake out of the oven was the same height as when it went in the oven.  And it was dense and rubbery.  Yuck.  So after a long day with no good cake and no eggs left, I made a box cake the next day.  There's nothing like the consistency of box cake mix.

The chocolate glaze was good until the next day.  I used 8 oz bittersweet chocolate and 1 c heavy cream.

For the pastry cream I used:
1 c milk
1 oz sugar
0.75 oz yolks
1 oz eggs
0.75 oz cornstarch
1 oz sugar
1/2 oz butter
3/4 t vanilla
The taste of the vanilla extract was too strong, so next time I'll use only half.  But the thickness was nice.  I didn't mind using whole eggs in this, but I'm used to using all egg yolks, so it seemed strange.

This cake looks small in the picture, but actually it's a 9 inch cake.



Margherita jello shots.
1 small package lime jello.
1/4 c tequila
1/8 c cointreau
additional water as directed on the jello box (2 cups minus 3/8 cup)

These would be cute in lime wedges, but the cupcake liners work too. Yum.



No comments:

Post a Comment