Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Homemade Magic Shell 2.20.13

I bought some coconut oil to make homemade magic shell.  It worked, but I wish the chocolate sauce was liquid at room temp.  It makes sense that since coconut oil and chocolate are both solid at room temperature, that a mix of the two would also harden when left at room temp.  I heated the mixture in the microwave, and poured it on ice cream and it worked like a charm.

I tried 2 1/8 oz dark chocolate with 1 1/4 oz oil which came out very liquid.  I also tried 2 1/8 oz dark chocolate with 0.75 oz oil which came out quite thick.  I didn't like the thick mixture since it coated the ice cream with too thick of a chocolate shell.  I liked the thin crisp shell more.  Perhaps 2 oz chocolate and 1 oz coconut oil would be the perfect ratio.


What bothered me about this, is why can't I just use chocolate.  I guess chocolate would harden very thick on ice cream and you'd also have to be very careful melting it (easier to burn). 

No comments:

Post a Comment