Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Something Sweet Without Wheat 1.30.13

Something Sweet Without Wheat, 169 Mass Ave, Arlington, MA

This new gluten free bakery opened up in Arlington near to where I live.  I love grand openings; the staff are always the nicest and you get tons of free samples.  I sampled the foccacia and it was good, so I bought a piece.  I also sampled the herb bread, but the texture was a little dry and crumbly so I didn't get the half loaf that sells for $5.  I assume the foccacia bread and white bread recipes are related somehow, but maybe with the oil and seasoning and savory, the flavor really stands out over any lacking texture.

The appearance of everything was really nice, with the exception of the standout croissants.  I'll pick one up next time I'm out.  They look a little sad because they are not fluffy looking.  Almost like there wasn't any yeast in them.  The muffins had a slightly matte top to them, and the other pastries (cinnamon buns) looked a little flat too.

Foccacia was pretty good.  Flavour was awesome, only the texture was a little dry and crumbly.



The chocolate chip cookie was good, but it was crisper than I'd prefer.



The cupcake is a red velvet with chocolate frosting. The frosting was good, but the cake was somewhat dry.



I talked to the woman in the store about the ingredients in the frosting.  Vanilla creme frosting has shortening, powdered sugar, vanilla, and rice milk.



No comments:

Post a Comment