Sunday, January 15, 2012

Strawberry Pancakes 1.1.12

Again using the buttermilk recipe, but I didn't have buttermilk, so I used 1 c of milk with 1 T of lemon juice.  I think the buttermilk is to give the cakes a little tang, but also the acidity helps the baking soda leaven the pancakes, so maybe I didn't add enough because the pancakes didn't come out as high as I thought.  Also, I only used 4 1/8 oz of flour and a cup of flour is often equated to 5 - 5 1/2 oz.  So I think the high hydration thinned out the pancakes also.  Next time, I'll try 4 1/2 oz flour.

These were topped with strawberries macerated in sugar the night before.  Two of these large pancakes were enough to feel really full for breakfast. Yum yum!


Buttermilk Pancake ingredients (Baking Illustrated)
1 c AP flour (4 1/8 oz)
2 t sugar
1/2 t salt
1/2 baking pwdr
1/4 t  baking soda
3/4 c buttermilk
1/4 c milk
1 large egg, separated
2 T melted butter


No comments:

Post a Comment