Friday, January 20, 2012

Practicing laminations 1.18.12

I've been thinking all week about laminating the croissant dough in my freezer.  I finally got to it, and yes I need a lot more practice.  The dough was very elastic and difficult to roll out (unless it was because my rolling pin wasn't warmed up - not literally!)  If I had more time I could have rested the dough more between folds.  I was waiting 20-30 minutes for this dough.

Here's some pictures of the dough rolled out.


Here's a cross section to show the laminations. I used three 3-folds for this dough.


The butter started to break when I was rolling it out.  Next time I'll try mixing the butter with some flour to prevent the cracking.  I suppose I could also try getting some butter with high butterfat, but I'm not even sure where to get that or how much more expensive it would be.

I ran out of time and didn't make crescents, I ended up making pockets, basically folding the dough over once like a pain au chocolate...well, kinda.


They turned out looking very pretty, but they were too heavy as I had problems proofing and baking.  But here they are.


No comments:

Post a Comment