Monday, January 16, 2012

Happy Anniversary 1.10.12

I started this blog on 3 January 2011.  I had just started taking classes at Le Cordon Bleu in Cambridge as part of the program in baking and pastry.  I experimented with recipes using Splenda and enjoyed studying plated desserts at many local restaurants. I took pictures of every dessert I came across and recorded all of my baking products.  I'm planning to start this next year developing some gluten-free dessert recipes.  Hopefully, I can develop soft pretzels, black and white cookies, and bagels using chia seeds.

Happy Anniversary, blog!



This is a boston creme cake.  The frosting is a chocolate ganache which I started using 1.25:1 ratio of chocolate to heavy cream, but the frosting was too thick.  So I added more hot cream.  The cake is filled with pastry cream.  The pastry cream is actually gluten-free because I use cornstarch to thicken the creme instead of flour.  I used an eggy genoise recipe that has 150% baker's percentage of eggs.  I didn't like this one as much as the yellow butter cake, but I'd still like to use a light cake next time.  So I think I will use my white layer cake recipe next time I make BCP.



The writing is a white chocolate coating, which had a terrible consistency when I melted it to use in piping. If I had some extra cocoa butter, I could have tried thinning out the chocolate.  I could have also used vegetable oil or another thinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment