Sunday, November 6, 2011

Practice Yoda Cake 9.8.11

I'm practicing a sculpted birthday cake.  It's going to look like Yoda's head, inspired by the Yoda Head Cake here, http://www.instructables.com/id/Yoda-Head-Cake/.  Unfortunately, my cake will not be as good looking as the model since it is based on acute sculpting and painting abilities which I do not have.  My strengths lie more in geometric patterns and architectural designs, not organic ones.  Nevertheless, I've never done a sculpted cake before, so there's no time like the present.

First, I made three cakes (two 9 inch rounds and one 8 inch, since those are the pan sizes I have) from two white cake mixes.  I filled the 9 inch pans with 1 lb 4 oz of batter and the 8 inch pan with 1 lb 14 oz, which I believe might have been overfull for each, not because they would rise over the top of the pans, but because they need to be baked so long they might dry out.




I made a buttercream, mostly without measuring ingredients, just so I'll be able to crumb coat the practice cake and the fondant will stick to the cake.  I used (approximately) 1 stick of butter, 1/8 c shortening, 2 c confectionary sugar, 1 tsp lemon extract , and 1 T milk (as needed).  The icing is very sweet and has that raw taste of confectionary sugar.



Most importantly, I made the fondant.  I followed the Wilton marshmallow fondant recipe. I used 10.5 oz marshmallows in the microwave for 1 minute, 12 oz confectionary sugar, 1 T water (as needed) and 1/4 cup shortening (as needed).  I also added green and brown food coloring to get a nice green for Yoda.  I wrapped the fondant in plastic wrap and will let it sit overnight.  I will check the consistency tomorrow.



Here we go!  Starting with the stacked cake with buttercream sticking the layers together.



Next is the hand-carved cake.  It kinda looks like a duck!



Buttercream coating.



...and fondant covered.




Unfortunately, it's not the end result I was looking for.  I'm going to look up some sketches and make a pattern for the sculpting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment