Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Pumpkin Pie 11.23.11

I've only ever made Libby's pumpkin pie from the recipe off the can. But inspired by a homemade pumpkin pie I had recently (not at 1369), I knew that pumpkin pie could be much more flavorful than I knew.

I made pumpkin pie as well as a pie crust.  Here's the recipe for the pie crust, adapted from Martha Stewart Pate Brisee recipe

6.25 oz AP flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 t sugar
1 stick butter
6-8 T cold water (I used 6)

I cut the butter into the dries, then added the cold water slowly until the dough felt hydrated and not crumbly anymore.  Too impatient to wait an hour for the dough to chill, I placed it in the freezer for about 30 minutes instead.  The dough rolled out okay, but I need practice rolling out circles of dough.  The ridge of dough for the edge of the crust did not turn out as high as I'd like.  The dough was a good thickness, so I'm not sure why I felt I didn't have enough.

For the pie filling, I adapted a recipe from food network.  Not having evaporated milk on hand, I simmered some 2% for about 20 minutes, reducing 2 cups to about 1 1/2 cups milk.  I also used cornstarch, to make the custard a bit thicker.
3/4 c light brown sugar
1/2 t salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 t ginger
1/4 t cloves
2 eggs
15 oz pumpkin puree
12 oz evaporated milk
1 T cornstarch dissolved in 1 T cold milk.

I mixed the dry ingredients.  Then added eggs.  Then puree.  Then the milk. Then the cornstarch. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, then 325 for 45 minutes or until done.

Here's the pie just before baking.


The finished pie.


Unfortunately the pie wasn't very good.  It was kinda bland and the texture was too mushy perhaps due to the home-made evaporated milk.  The crust wasn't anything great either.  I'll still be looking for a good pumpkin pie recipe.




No comments:

Post a Comment