Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Birthday Cupcakes! 11.13.11

We made strawberry shortcake cupcakes.  The cake recipe is the white layer cake from baking illustrated.  My #19 portion scoop was the perfect amount for each standard muffin cup.  I baked the cupcakes for about 18 minutes (a little less than recommended in the recipe for the 9 inch cakes).

After the cakes were cooled, we filled them with strawberry puree.  The puree was made using chopped strawberries mashed with a potato masher and sprinkled with granulated sugar.  Let the mixture sit overnight in the fridge.  Strain this mixture and the pulpy part was the filling for the cupcakes.  The sweetened juice was reserved for the whipped cream.



I whipped the heavy cream and added some superfine sugar (only because I ran out of granulated sugar) . Then I folded in the strawberry puree juice when the whipped cream was almost done.  We piped the whipped cream onto the cupcakes.



The cupcakes were topped with a sliced strawberry glazed with some simple syrup.


I love making cupcakes with a surprise in the center. I like that some people commented that they weren't too sweet.  The last time I heard that comment was when I made a similar cupcake for my professors a few years ago.  I had made a white cupcake (from a box) with sweetened whipped cream, topped with blueberries and strawberry puree.






No comments:

Post a Comment