Sunday, November 6, 2011

Star Wars Birthday! 10.19.11

The big reveal occurred at the Adams Mill Restaurant, 165 Adams Street, Manchester, CT

Here it comes!  It's Yoda!  First is cake and rice krispies covered in buttercream.  I had wanted the head to be entirely made of cake layers, but my cake layers didn't rise as much as I wanted, so the cake only comes up to the eyebrows and the dome of the head is sculpted from rice krispies.  The cake layers have buttercream and raspberry filling.  The ears are entirely rice krispies with wooden skewers holding them to the head.   Actually, the ears were the biggest problem, and I had to place metal clips to keep them together.  Next time, I'll make them the day before so they have time to dry out before attaching them to the head.



Next comes the fondant.  I still had lumps in the fondant, so next time I'll use Domino confectionary sugar or get a better tamis.  The fondant was made the day before and I used green and brown food gel to get the color.  The eyes are made of uncolored, reserved fondant.  The brown iris and black pupil are painted on using color gel mixed with Svedka.  I also used the brown 'paint' to color the highlights on the face (eyebrows, nose, dome of the head), as well as the inside of the ears.



A cross section shows the cake and rice krispie center.  The right ear really started to sag at this point.  But for a cake that was in a bouncy car for almost 2 hours, it's not too bad.  



A side of Star Wars cookies.
Next I used the sugar cookie recipe from Baking Illustrated.  I used the superfine sugar which gave excellent texture to these cookies.  I made cookie cutters out of an aluminum pan.  I also used the glaze recipe (with cream cheese) and added cocoa powder to the chocolate glaze and food coloring to both.  I used the plain white icing to pipe on the details.



Here are the cookies before they are decorated.



Here are the finished cookies!



And throw in some linzer cookies while we've got the dough rolled out and the cookie cutters out.



1 comment: