Friday, June 24, 2011

Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies 6.24.11

Trying out another recipe from Baking Illustrated.  I'm pretty happy with how these cookies came out.  I'm trying to use up the last of my Splenda Brown Sugar Blend, so I substituted half of the brown sugar for the Splenda blend.  I hope I didn't compromise too much on the coloring or the spread of the cookies.  Using the sugar blend means the dough has less sugar content, so the cookies will brown less and spread less....theoretically.

Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies


What's really interesting is the shaping procedure recommended by Baking Illustrated.  For each cookie, take a scant 1/4 cup of dough and form it into a loose ball.  Then tear the ball into two equal pieces, turn the torn side up, and push the two halves together.  This gives the top of each portion of cookie dough a very ragged look.  When the dough softenes up in the oven, the jagged balls smooth out slightly, but still have a nice (rustic?) homemade look to them.  The method, however, is a little time consuming, so I'm going to see if there's a faster way.  Maybe I can scoop out two cookies and rip each portion in half, turning them jagged side up on the baking sheet. 

I had some trouble with the oven temperature this morning.  The first batch cooked for 15 minutes, but I was blocking the temperature gague in the oven, so it went up to 400 at some point (cookies were supposed to be baked at 325).  For the second batch I didn't block the sensor, so they baked at 325 the entire time and took 18 minutes and still didn't come out as brown as the first six. 


Thick and Chewy CC Cookies baked at 325 F (as directed in the recipe)


Thick and Chewy CC Cookies (accidentally) baked at a higher temperature


I like the thicker, rounder cookies better, so I'd try baking at 350 or 375 next time.  Although, I'll have to compensate for using all brown sugar, so we'll see what happens.  Also, I never tried doing a direct portion scoop, I pulled each cookie dough ball in half as directed by baking illustrated.  I really like how the tops look, so maybe that's a good method to go buy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment