Friday, April 29, 2011

The Perfect Black and White Cookie

I have finally found the perfect black and white cookie recipe thanks to Baking Illustrated.  The cookie is just lemony enough, just cakelike enough, and just moist enough.  The icing is sweet with great texture.  For the cookie, I used a #20 portion scoop placing the second scoop of dough directly on top of the second scoop and pressing down with the second scoop to flatten the dough mound.  The cookies baked for 16 minutes.  I probably could have baked the cookies for 14 or 15 minutes.  I had some kissing cousins, so next time I'll have to better account for the cookies' spread. 


I didn't thin out the icing enough, so it was stiff to apply to the cookies and didn't flow together after it was applied...at least not as much as I would have liked.  Next time I will add a little more water.  I even added more water than the recipe called for, but it was not enough. 

The chocolate icing was a very brown chocolate color when I first made it.  After adding cocoa and powder and baking soda the color of the chocolate icing did not darken as much as I would have liked. So I added a small amount of black food coloring.  The final color of the chocolate icing is the color of dark chocolate.


I used a small offset spatula to apply the icing, and using the small spatula allowed just enough icing to be placed on the cookie.  I'm happy with the amount of frosting that went on the cookies. 

Hooray for Baking Illustrated!


No comments:

Post a Comment