Thursday, April 28, 2011

French Buttercream for Birthday Cake

Tomorrow we have a practical exam on assembling and decorating a birthday cake.  The cake will be three layers of chocolate sponge cake.  The frosting and decoration is french buttercream.  So to prepare for the exam, I made some french buttercream (very rich and sweet!) and practiced decorating an upside-down cake pan.

The buttercream has a very soft consistency compared to simple buttercream or italian buttercream which we have worked with before in class.  This sticky consistency works well for the orange flowers because the petals stick to the cake.  The green buttercream leaves also stick and pipe better when the icing is very soft. 


The orange flowers were supposed to be Gerber daisies, but I couldn't get the flower petals flat enough.  But I looked up flowers that resemble the one that I made (I know it's a little backwards) and they resemble Blue Eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium Monta), Prarie Star Flower, forget-me-nots, Harlinger, Verbena, Caltrops, or Alyssum.  I think forget-me-nots or Verbena are the closest, although I think forget-me-nots are only blue.  I really wish I could make a  buttercream Gerber daisy.

No comments:

Post a Comment