Monday, April 11, 2011

Mint Creme Anglaise

I have organic raspberries, and oh how a mint creme anglaise would be just perfect with that.  We have a practical on creme anglaise tomorrow, so I thought I would practice.  We'll probably just put vanilla extract in our custard tomorrow, but for some reason I wanted to try mint flavoured creme anglaise.  I made such a small amount (12 oz) that I couldn't temp the custard with my bimetallic stem thermometer, so I hope I cooked the custard correctly.  Here is a picture of how the custard coats the back of a metal spoon.



To infuse the mint, I used an unused, empty tea bag and filled it with 1 teaspoon of dried mint leaves.  Initially I was going to use fresh mint leaves, but I couldn't find any at my local Shaw's (to my suprise).    I put the mint leaf bag in the warm custard (after it was cooked) for about an hour.  After tasting, I think it gave the custard the perfect amount of fresh mint taste.  I also think there is a slight paper taste, so next time I'll try using my metal tea infuser instead of the paper bag.  Here's the mint leaf bag after I removed it from the custard.



I'm planning to buy a chocolate desssert from the local bakery tomorrow and plan to plate that with the creme anglaise and the raspberries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment