Sunday, March 20, 2011

Miel "Brasserie Provençale" 3.18.11

Miel "Brasserie Provençale", 510 Atlantic Avenue, Boston

Pear Tarte Tatin, salted caramel ice cream


We have not made tarte tatin in class yet, but I hope we do soon.  This tart is made in the style of the Tatin sisters of France and is traditionally described as an inverted caramelized apple tart. At Miel they served the pear variation.  In general I was a little disappointed with this dessert.  The tart crust was soggy and I was expecting it to be crisp.  The pear slices were arranged individually on top of the tart crust and I wished the entire dessert was baked all together.  I didn't see anything in this dessert that might have been flipped upside down either.  The ice cream had a subtle caramel flavor, which I though was too weak. 


Chocolate ice cream, three scoops


Simple and delicious.  I forgot to ask who made the ice cream, but it was fresh and good.  It tasted like my favorite chocolate ice cream recipe I make at home (Jerry's Chocolate from Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book)

No comments:

Post a Comment