Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Black & White Cookies 3.27.11

I could not get the Smitten Kitchen cookie recipe to work.  I'm not sure what I did wrong. First, I thought I incorrectly mixed the ingredients.  Then, I thought I underbaked the cookies.  I'm not convinced either one of these were done wrong, though.  I made the cookies again using a different mixing technique and still got the same cookie result.  The cookies turned out gummy, but I wanted them to be crumbly, soft, cakey, lemony, and buttery.  The flavor of the cookie was alright, but the texture completely ruined it for me.  And I know it's something I am doing to the recipe because none of the posts in the thread say anything about gummy cookies (or other descriptive variants). 

On the other hand, the icing turned out pretty fabulous.  The perfect icing for this bland cookie.  (I say bland, because these cookies are supposed to be bland without the icing.  The icing is super sweet and gives nice balance to the plain cookie base.)

Cookies after baking.  The flat side looks like a pancake! The cookies domed very nicely.


Cookies after white icing


Cookies finished
  

The second time I made the cookies, I successfully made the cookies an appropriate size.  I used two level scoops using a #20 portion scoop.  I placed the second scoop directly on top of the first scoop (just like a double scoop ice cream cone) and the cookies flattened out with a nice round shape during baking. The cookies came out slightly bigger than a large lemon.  See the correctly sized cookies below.

A larger cookie
  

So for next time I'm going to abandon this recipe and try the Epicurious recipe that uses buttermilk.  Hmm...what's the next appropriate holiday?...I think the Fourth would be best.  Black & Blue and Black & Red cookies anyone?  Or maybe Black & White with red and blue sprinkles in the white?

Note on my camera:  I'm still trying to find how to manually adjust the ISO setting.  For now, I'm using the preset 'aquarium' setting (ISO 800).  However, the photos don't let a lot of blue or green light through, so all the pictures come out looking red.  So after taking the pictures, I go into my photo editor and adjust the lighting, increasing the blue and green.  Tedious, but works for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment