Saturday, December 28, 2019

Sugar cookie cutouts 12.28.19

Although incredibly time consuming, I wanted to make some cutout cookies for my holiday assortment.  I was committed to these cookies, and then I looked through my cookie cutters and realized I have NO holiday cutters.  I should invest at some point, but I do have a set of round and fluted cutters of various sizes.  So I decided I could make wreaths with the fluted cutters.

I used the Bob's Red Mill GF flour for these, and the dough held together nicely, but was a bit soft and fragile.  I used a spatula to carefully pick up the cut cookies and transfer them to trays for baking so I didn't mangle the shapes.  Here are the trayed, unbaked cookies.


In the oven these cookies puff up a tiny bit, just enough so that they look like baked cookies but hold their shape wonderfully.  Exactly what you want in a cutout cookie.  Notice that the recipe uses powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar, which is supposed to make a cookie that does not spread much in the oven.  Here's the cookies in the oven puffed up.


Here's the cookies cooling after the bake.  The recipe made 36 wreaths.


Then I dipped the cookies into flooding-consistency green royal icing, and piped red royal icing decorations.  I used a small leaf tip for the bows (two leaves pointed in toward each other) and a small round tip (#3) for the berries.


I was looking for a powdered sugar, sugar cookie recipe.  The recipe I based this off of is for Partridge-in-a-pear-tree cookies from Better Homes and Gardens 100 Best Cookies.  I used GF flour (same weight). The original cookie is a sandwich cookie filled with apricot preserves and dusted with powdered sugar.  Here, I roll the dough out thicker (about 1/4 inch, not 1/8 inch) since the wreath is a single layer.

Here's the adapted recipe
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sifted powdered sugar (110 g)
Beat sugar into beaten butter.

1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
Beat in vanilla and salt.

1 egg
8.1 oz GF flour
Beat in eggs.  Stir in flour.

Chill dough 2 hours or overnight.  Roll out to 1/4 inch for single layer cookies (1/8 inch for sandwich cookies)  Bake 350 for 10 minutes until edges are golden.

1 lb powdered sugar
2 egg whites
Blend sugar into whites until desired consistency.  Add color.  Dip cooled cookies in icing, invert and let dry.  Time to dry depends on how thick the icing is.  I thickly frosted these wreaths, so I am leaving them to dry overnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment