Saturday, December 28, 2019

Lemon balls 12.28.19

I really wanted to make a lemony cookie.  The original recipe has you form the dough into rings so that they look like wreaths.  I rolled them into balls instead.  They are topped with white nonpareils in the original recipe, but I left them off so that the cookies are just decorated with glaze.  I altered the shape because I was already planing to make sugar cookie cut outs in the shape of wreaths, so I thought a ball shape would complement the assortment better.


Here are the dough balls before and after baking


Here are the glazed cookies


Here's the lemon balls with the sugar cookie wreaths I later made side by side.


Here's my adapted recipe
1 cup (5 oz) flour
1 tsp bak pwdr
0.42 tsp coarse salt
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.

1.6 oz granulated sugar
1 1/3 tsp lemon zest
Pulse sugar and zest in food processor, about 2 minutes

5 1/3 T butter
1 egg
1/3 tsp vanilla
1/3 tsp lemon juice
Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs. Add vanilla and lemon juice.  Mix in dry ingredients

Form into balls and bake at 350 for 12 minutes, until bottom and edges are pale golden.

1 cup powdered sugar
2 1/2 T lemon juice (from 1.5 lemons)
Start with 1.5 T lemon juice and stir in powdered sugar until the right consistency. Dip top of cooled cookies and set on rack to dry, 6-9 hours.

This is a recipe for Lemon Wreaths from Martha Stewart Living Dec 2009.  

No comments:

Post a Comment