Friday, December 27, 2019

Pretzel Sablé cookies 12.27.19

I love all things French.  The sablé is a butter cookie which has an extra extra light and airy texture.  I found this cook's illustrated recipe for sablé cookies which uses cooked egg yolk in the recipe to give it that extra lightness.  I made the pretzel-shaped variation with extra vanilla flavoring.  The pretzel-shaped cookie might be my favorite in the dutch butter cookie tin.

It's really fun to shape these.  I formed the dough into logs before refrigerating, similar to if I was slicing them into discs.  After the dough was firm, I sliced them (1/4 in) and scaled them to 13 g, then rolled into balls.  Each ball was rolled out, slightly tapered at the ends and formed into a pretzel.  The cookies then need to be egg washed and sprinkled with turbinado sugar.  I didn't want to buy a whole $6 bag of sugar in the raw that I would never use, so I looked for red/green decorating sugar, but I visited four different stores and couldn't find any.  I ended up using granulated sugar.  The egg wash is whites only with water.


I first tried to brush the shaped cookie then place upside down in the sugar to fully coat it, but it was time consuming and the cookies got misshaped a bit with all the handling.  So then I washed them on the tray, and sprinkled sugar over the top of them.  I could have shaped them and put them in the freezer to firm up again.


The granulated sugar gave them a bit of a crystallized look and the egg wash made the cookies shiny.


1 yolk from hard boiled egg, grated.  Cover egg with water, bring to boil, then remove from heat and cover for 10 minutes.  Transfer to ice water for 5 minutes, then peel and liberate the cooked yolk.
10 T butter
2.75 oz sugar
Cream butter and sugar.  Add cooked yolk with the sugar.

1/4 t salt
1 T vanilla
7.5 oz flour
Mix in salt and vanilla.  Stir in flour.  Scale to 13 gram pieces and roll out to 6 inches slightly tapering the ends.  Then form into a pretzel shape.  Egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado/demerara or sparkling sugar.  Bake 350 for 14 minutes until edges brown, turning once during baking. The recipe made 33 cookies (13 g each), which was a perfect sized batch.

It might be good to embed the sugar into the surface of the cookie.  Next time try to cool shaped cookies until firm, then egg wash and turn upside down, pressing into the decorating sugar to coat fully.



No comments:

Post a Comment