Friday, December 27, 2019

Cherry Walnut Bars 12.27.19

I wanted to make a bar cookie with GF flour. I also am in love with Stoneridge Orchards Organic Montmorency dried cherries.  Instead of using a dried fruit mix in these bars, I decided to go all cherry all the time.

I replaced all of the dried fruit with chopped dried cherries.  I used Remy Martin VSOP for the brandy.  Cognac and cherries are brought to a boil and then left to cool.

I replaced the pecans with walnuts.  I searched recipes with dried cherries and it seems like they were paired with walnuts more often than pecans, so I thought it might be a better pairing.  Here are the drunken cherries and walnuts.

I used the Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 GF flour for both the crust and bar.  Mixing the crust ingredients with my hand blender made a really nice crumb texture, which is what you need for the crust.  You could also cut the butter into the other dry ingredients by hand.   I made a half recipe, so I pressed the crust mixture into a 9 by 6 pan.  The instructions were to bake the crust 20 minutes.  I baked for about 18.  It was very easy to see the color develop on the crust.

Here's the mixture going into the oven and after cooled.


I cut them into 1.5 in squares.  The whole pan will be wrapped very tightly and will go in the freezer.  Before serving, the bars will be dusted with powdered sugar.

Here's a picture with the sablé cookies I also made the same day.


Whole recipe (I only made half recipe above),

1 1/3 c dried cherries, chopped
1/2 c cognac
Boil cherries and cognac, then immediately remove from heat and let cool.  drain cherries.  Make a spritzer by pouring seltzer over cherry-flavored cognac.

1 c GF flour
1/3 c brown sugar
1/2 c butter
Cut butter into flour and sugar, until resembles coarse crumbs.  Press into bottom of 8x8 square pan and bake at 350 for 20 minutes, until golden

2 eggs
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c GF flour
1 t vanilla
1/3 c chopped walnuts
Beat eggs for 4 minutes.  Mix in sugar, flour, and vanilla.  Stir in cherries and nuts.  Pour over crust and bake 350 for 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Cover with aluminum foil for last 10 minutes of bake time to avoid over browning.

When cool, cut into bars and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

I adapted the Brandied Cranberry-Apricot Bars recipe from Better Homes and Gardens 100 Best Cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment