Thursday, December 26, 2019

Holiday cookie assortment and Oatmeal Cookies 12.26.19

I wanted to make several holiday cookies, and went through my old recipes and cookie magazines to identify my favorites.  I finally narrowed down my list to the top 6 here.  I cringed a little leaving out things like butter spritz and gingerbread men, but had to make the hard decisions and realize that I am making other butter cookies and other cutout cookies this year.

In no particular order:
1. Brandied Cherry Walnut bars (with cognac, but using cognac as a verb sounds weird.  "Cognacked"?) with gluten-free flour
2. Sablés (French butter cookie), pretzel shaped
3. Thin and crispy oatmeal cookies (with gluten-free flour)
4. Chocolate cookies with peanut butter filling
5. Lemon balls, a short lemon cookie with lemon sugar glaze
6. Cut out sugar cookies decorated with colored royal icing (with gluten-free flour)


I prefer a thick chewy cookie, usually with chocolate chips, but for some reason thin and crispy oatmeal cookies seemed to be a perfect addition to my holiday assortment.

I'm working on substituting all-purpose flour with gluten-free flour in cookie recipes.  This recipe calls for 1 cup (5 oz) unbleached all-purpose flour.

According to Bob's Red Mill, both the GF All Purpose flour and GF 1-to-1 Baking Flour can replace regular flour cup for cup.  But based on the weight differences, I'm going to try measuring by weight for my cookie recipes.

According to Bob's Red Mill Flour Weight Chart, their brand of Organic Unbleached White All Purpose Flour (or unbleached nonorganic) weighs 136 grams per 1 cup.  Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour also weighs 136 g, while Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour weighs 148 g.

Thus, since the recipe calls for 5 oz AP flour, I'm going to instead use 142 g.


Cream butter and sugars



Mix in egg and vanilla



Mix in GF flour


Mix in oats and portion into balls.  I used #40 which turned out to be too big.


I ended up dividing the scoops in half, then in thirds to get a better size.  The final size is about 1.5 teaspoons. I really need to invest in a #70.


Here is the dough before going into the oven, and the baked cookies.



The sizing was hard to gauge since the cookies spread a lot.  Here are all three sizes I made.  The largest ones are 4 inches in diameter.

Finally, here's the cookies in the oven about half way through.  They spread and puff up, then they collapse and start to brown, first around the edges, then in the middle.

4.75 oz GF flour
3/4 t bak pwdr
1/2 t soda
1/2 t fine salt
Stir together dry ingredients

14 T unsalted butter, room temp
7 oz granulated sugar
1.75 oz light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 t vanilla
Beat until light and fluffy.  Add egg and vanilla.  Then stir in dry ingredients.

2.5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
Mix in oats until well combined.

Roll into small balls (1.5 tsp) and space at least 2.5 inches apart on baking tray.  Cookies will spread completely. Bake at 350 for 14 minutes, turning once during baking.  Take them out when the middles start to brown.  This recipe made two TINS worth of cookies, which is way too many for my cookie sampler I'm making.  1/2 or 1/3 of this recipe would be a more reasonable sized batch.

Adapted from Thin and Crispy Oatmeal Cookies from America's Test Kitchen Best-ever recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment