Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Pumpkin Pie 11.5.13

I tried a crust recipe from the Gisslen book.   I think I added too much water (or maybe I overmixed it) because the dough was gummy. (makes four 10 oz crusts)

1 lb 4 oz pastry flour
14 oz butter
6-8 oz ice water
2 t salt (optional)
1 oz sugar (optional)

The pumpkin filling is my favorite.  I love the stove top cook method.  And the balance of spices is just right for me.

16 oz pumpkin puree
7 oz brown sugar
2 t ground ginger
2 t ground cinnamon
½ t grated nutmeg
¼ t ground cloves
½ t salt
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
4 large eggs


Cook pumpkin, sugar and spices on stove top until shiny (about 5 minutes).  Then add milk and simmer.  Temper eggs.  Combine all ingredients.  Pour into par baked pie shell.  Bake at 400 about 25 minutes, or until center of pie is set.



No comments:

Post a Comment