Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Apple Pie 12.3.13

I use the baking illustrated recipe for the crust and the filling.  In culinary school, we used 100% granny smith apples.  Another similar recipe used granny smith and Cortland apples (with Granny Smiths sliced and Cortland apples cut into chunks). 

Pie Dough (top and bottom of a 9 in pie)
12.5 oz AP flour
1 t salt
2 T sugar
½ c shortening
6 oz butter, cubed
6-8 T ice water (I think I used 8-9 T with the flour I used)

Apple filling (for 9 in pie)
3 ½ lb apples (about 7 apples)
1 T lemon juice
1 t lemon zest
5.25 oz sugar
¼  t nutmeg
¼ t cinnamon
1/8 t allspice
¼ t salt
1 egg white

Cut apples and toss with half of the sugar; macerate 30 minutes.  Mix softened apples with lemon, remaining sugar, and spices.  Mound apples in bottom crust and assemble the pie.  Cut vent hole in top of crust.  Brush with egg white.  Bake 450 for 25 minutes or until crust is golden.  Bake at 350 until apples are cooked, about 15 more minutes.


I used 6.5 lb apples for four 8’in pies.  I should have used 2.5 lb for each 8’in (3 lb apples for  9 in)

For the crust to come out perfect, I had to make sure not to bake on the top rack in the oven, especially when on 450.  



No comments:

Post a Comment