Thursday, March 15, 2012

Chia cupcakes 3.13.12

This recipe is based off of the Velvet cake recipe from Coppedge's Gluten-Free Baking.

There's some math involved here.  Velvet cake from the Coppedge's book involves two flour blends (#1 and #3).  I'm making one batch of the Velvet cake and making them into cupcakes.  I'm substituting the gum for ground, hydrated chia seeds.  I'm also substituting the powdered albumen for egg whites.  Basically, I'm substituting wet ingredients (or wet versions) of the gum and albumen.  So I just need to blend the dry ingredients from flour blend #3.

I mixed half batches of flour blend #1 and #3, but left out the gum and albumen in #3.  So flour blend #1 will be a straight substitution.  Flour blend #3 has only 9 3/4 ounces of the total (12 oz), or 81.25% .  The recipe calls for 3.25 oz of flour blend #3.  Thus, I will use 81.25% of 3.25 oz, which is 2.64 oz, rounding to 2 5/8 oz dry flour blend #3.

I used 2 t whole chia seeds.  The recipe calls for 0.17 oz.   [Note: 1.5t whole chia seeds = 1 t ground chia seeds.  2t whole chia seeds= between 1/8 and 2/8 oz]   For second half of the batch, I added more hydrated chia seeds to that the amount was doubled in the recipe.

I substituted 2 oz of egg white for 0.46 oz powdered albumen.


The batter doesn't come together and separates after it sits for a while.  I suspect the batter separated some for the first few minutes in the oven as well.




More tunneling here.  The left cupcake has half the amount of chia seeds than the right cupcake.

The cupcakes rose nicely during baking, but doesn't have enough structure and collapses after cooled.  The cupcakes had a gummy texture.  The bottom of the cupcakes had a different texture then the top, perhaps due to the batter settling in the muffin tin.  I believe the texture problem is due to increased hydration in the recipe.  For starters, I didn't account for the water used to hydrate the chia seeds.  Would cornstarch help thicken the batter?  Maybe only after it's baked.

Also, I used a dutch processed cocoa blend.  This blend will have less acidity than a natural cocoa, which would inhibit the reaction with the baking soda and may decrease the leavening in the cupcake.

Next time I will try half of the batter with no chia seed slurry, and half with chia seeds.  I also want to try using half chia seeds, half flax seeds.

I used a white buttercream for these cupcakes. (quadruple the recipe to frost an 8" cake)
6 T butter
2 c conf sugar (208 g)
1/2 t vanilla
pinch salt
 1 1/2 T milk



The flavor of these cupcakes was really good.  But the texture and shape need some work.




No comments:

Post a Comment