Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas Cookies 2011

These cookies came out very yummy.  I had a few problems to overcome as I made them.  Firstly, the recipe is for the Wilton spritz cookie.  I leave out the almond extract.  The recipe is in volume measures and I usually add extra flour to this mix to make the dough stiffer and easier to press.  However, I have not narrowed down exactly how many ounces of flour to add to each batch.  I have a written in note to add about 1/4 c flour, but being a volume measure, that's not exactly the most accurate thing. 

I needed to run an errand before baking the cookies, so I placed the dough in the fridge for half a day.  This makes the dough very stiff, and I tried to make up for the lack of stiffness by piping it a little cool.  However, this did not work and the dough just got stuck in the tube and was too sticky anyway.  

I used red and green food coloring for the cookies.  This again was a mistake, as I should have realized the common perils of using red food coloring.  The food coloring (even though I was using gel colors) added too much liquid to the dough and so the red cookies stuck to the baking sheets.  I was thinking this as I was adding insane amounts of red gel, and I should have added more flour immediately.  But I think I was having so much fun getting the perfect Christmas red, it was like an addiction and I just couldn't stop.  Amazingly, the cookies still tasted very good, although they did not rise much and turned out flatter than their white and green counterparts.



I was able to salvage some of the ornaments.  And I was very happy with the red color. 


The final result!



I'm all set now for round 2 cookies, which I'll bake after the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment