Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Bova's Bakery 12.3.11

Bova's Bakery, 134 Salem Street, Boston, MA

I finally visited Bova's bakery! I had been to Mike's and Modern, but to complete the trifecta I still needed to try Bova's bakery. There is a diminutive store front, like Clear Flour. I purchased three treats to sample some of the items.

Lobster Tail - recommended by the staff
It was good.  It was crispy on the outside and the cream was yummy on the inside. I'm glad it was not ridiculously gynormous like what you get at modern, but it didn't blow my stars. :(



Fruit Tart
They are beautiful looking and pretty good, but not as good as the frangipane filled tarts we made at Le Cordon Bleu.



Scallia bread
The most delicious Italian bread I have ever had.  However, I think Bova's is the only italian bread I've tried that wasn't from a grocery store.  Nevertheless, it was delicious.  The crust was thin and the crumb was soft and rich with impecable texture.  Also, their bread comes out at 6pm each day and I arrived around 4pm.  So I was basically tasting day old bread, and I still thought it was pretty good.  The man behind the counter was nice enough to give me a short tour of the bakery.  I saw their large mixing bowls (about 160 kg capacity), belt moulder, rotating oven, and watched as the bakers were scaling some sourdough portions using a balance scale.


No comments:

Post a Comment