Thursday, January 8, 2015

Free form apple tart 12.27.14

Free form apple tart

This tart came out very well.  The pastry had great texture with the added cornmeal, and was not soggy on the bottom, even after leftovers were in the fridge for a few days.  I drained the apple slices in sugar for 30 minutes before filling the tart.  This recipe is from Baking Illustrated.

2T sour cream
2T ice water
5 oz AP flour
1 1/3 oz cornmeal
2 t sugar
½ t salt
3.5 oz butter

I tried to roll out the dough using wax paper and plastic, but it only rolled out when I used flour on the table.
I adapted the fruit filling so I had over 2 lb of apples.  The original recipe calls for 1 lb of each granny smith and mcintosh.  I did not like difference in texture between the two apples.  The granny smith were very tart and took longer to cook.  When the apples were done, the mcintosh apples were very mushy.  Also, I used additional sugar and lemon to macerate the apples before mixing with the sugar.

3 granny smith apples
2 mcintosh apples
1 T lemon juice
3 T sugar
1/8 t cinnamon

Instead of sprinkling sugar on the crust, I used an egg wash.  About 10 minutes before the tart was done, the apples looked very dry on top, so I brushed an apple cider jelly as a glaze so they would be more shiny and baked with the tart for the last 10 minutes.  The tart took 55-60 minutes to bake.

Here's the tart unbaked.



Here's the final baked tart.





No comments:

Post a Comment