Monday, March 25, 2013

Steamed Sponge Cake III 3.20.13


Steamed Sponge Cake

3 oz AP flour, sifted
2.48 oz yolks (about 4.5 eggs)
5.4 oz whites (about 4.5 eggs)
1/4 t baking powder (I'm going to try 1/8 t)
2.5 oz caster sugar (should be at least 1.75 oz, or up to 1.98 oz)
1/4 c warm water
2T canola oil
1/2 t vanilla

Beat yolks, water, oil and vanilla until creamy (about 30 s). Carefully fold flour, bak pwder,and 1 oz of sugar into yolk mixture.  Beat whites until foamy, add lemon, beat until soft peaks, slowly add sugar, and continue beating until stiff glossy peaks.  Fold into yolk mixture.  Steam cake for about 40 mins.  I let the cake cool in the steamer, and after only a few minutes it fell again.  I removed from steamer and let cool upside down.

The cake had good flavor, but checking this recipe against other sponge cakes I have the percentage of eggs is too high.  This recipe has about 260% eggs, whereas the others have between 150% to 230%.  I found one other cake with 260% eggs, but there was a much larger percentage of sugar.

I think I should change this recipe to one with less eggs.



Looks like an exponential distribution!




No comments:

Post a Comment