Monday, March 25, 2013

Fluffy Pancake III 3.15.13

Back to Basics.  I wonder why I can't reproduce the Bisquick pancake.  Bisquick is just flour, right?  a little trans fat, baking powder, and salt.  So what's the problem here.  Inspiration hit me as I went back to the original pancake recipe using Bisquick (2 c Bisquick, 1 c milk, 2 eggs).  These are largely different proportions than I have seen in the recipes I've been trying.  Much lower hydration and more eggs.  So, I found a new recipe that is hopefully a little more comparable to making the kind of pancake I like.

Bisquick-like pancakes

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (4 oz=3/4 c)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk or buttermilk (not the powdered variety)
2 eggs

I may even increase the amount of flour if need be.  I also found a recipe with vinegar and baking soda, but for now I'm going to try and stick with a recipe with very basic ingredients.

Success!  They are amazing.  At least the texture is.  Flavour is just okay.

I tried adding 6 T of butter, but they came out too mushy, so too much butter.  Maybe try adding 2 T of butter, or none at all.  I like them super light anyway.



No comments:

Post a Comment