Saturday, February 18, 2012

Valentine's Day crispy rice treats 2.13.12

I've made these treats before for Valentine's day and they came out much better than today.  I like to make them the likes of conversation hearts, but I was only making five.  Since you can make 6 in one batch, I only made one batch so I only made one color.  Up to 4 batches is ideal so you can have four pastel colored hearts.  For my one batch I used purple food coloring in the marshmallows, but I didn't use much so the light lavender marshmallow color looked quite faint and grey by the time I mixed it up with the crispy rice.

I like to make the writing red, just like the conversation hearts.  But red is such a hard color to get.  I can do it, using lots of gel color, but the frosting I had was very sensitive to the amount of liquid I used, and also I didn't have any powdered sugar on hand.  So after many failed attempts at making a red royal icing, I finally caved in and used a white chocolate coating i had in the store room.


Instead of the usual V day lingo (i.e. "fax me") I used everyone's name, since who doesn't love seeing their name on a crispy rice treat. I was happy with the shape of the hearts and how the cut outs came out.  I also liked the packaging.


I am thinking of making these again for everyone at the office, but I'm not sure if I should make these, or if I should make them cookies.  (The cookies wouldn't have their names on them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment