Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Chocolate Sheet Cake 2.24.12

This chocolate cake recipe comes from baking illustrated.  Instead of baking in a rectangular pan, I doubled the recipe and divided the batter into four 8 inch round pans.  I used three of the layers for a triple layer chocolate cake.  The last layer I have saved in my freezer for a treat for later.

This cake suprised me because the batter and final cake came out so dark.  A black brown color.  It's magnificent.  The flavor was good, but it was a little sweet for me.  The cake had nice texture and was moist too.

The recipe requests dutch processed cocoa (neutral pH).  I bought Hershey's special dark cocoa, available at the Stop and Shop.  The box says it's a blend of natural and dutch processed cocoa. The recipe also includes buttermilk.

Butter and Ghirardelli semi sweet chocolate



Whipped eggs, buttermilk and vanilla



Cocoa, sugar, flour, salt, and soda into the wet ingredients



The baked cake layers




Coffee syrup for flavouring the cake



The finished cake was frosted and assembled with milk chocolate frosting (also from Baking Illustrated).  The white frosting is an Italian buttercream (but I overcooked the sugar and deflated the egg whites while making it.  Luckily, the huge amount of butter in the frosting stabalized the consistence and made it pipeable).  I made chocolate roses from molded chocolate.







No comments:

Post a Comment